Sunday, May 13, 2007

A Little Credit Goes a Long Way

Every once in a while, if you do good things, like hard work that others appreciate, you get recognized with some token of appreciation. This was the case with me, when a couple of weeks ago, the District Commander awarded me with a commendation for my efforts in Portland. It took a while, but my co-workers in the Rose City wrote me an award, got the Admiral in Seattle to sign it, and sent it up here for presentation.



Sure, if I'd worked for private industry they would have given me a gold watch or something for 14 years of dedicated service, but the feds can't do that because of taxpayer dollars or whatever. Instead, the military is generally good about certificates and medals (so good, that there is a chapter in the personnel manual titled, "non-monetary incentives"). It was cool, getting up in front of everyone at the monthly All-Hands meeting, having the Chief of Staff read the citation, and getting photographed shaking hands with the Big Man.





So now everyone up here knows that I have some previous legitimacy. There's value to that, I suppose...

I had initially thought that this blog entry would be a "I love me" type of affair, like I am so great that I got this big deal award and aren't you thrilled for me.

The nice thing about doing these not-so-often is that I can take some time to think about what I am going to write, rather than just spewing (or, as I have heard it described, having "blog-arrhea"). I started to think about how this award really represented all the little (and big) things that happened along the way, that allowed me to do all that great stuff. No one ever succeeds entirely upon themselves; there are people on the path that helped, and probably too many to know or remember them all.

So I am going to be grateful for a few minutes, in no particular order, to some of the folks whose path crossed mine, and have left me a wealthier and grateful man:

  • Mike D., our landlord... you let us live in your really cool house out the road, made us welcome, fixed the heat when the oil company delivered the wrong kind of fuel, let us take Carlos for a month, and provided a first-hand example of how the Alaska male works.
  • Danielle, my assistant... you keep me outta so much trouble, you and John are great friends, with great firewood skills and keen sense of all things Alaskan, and great halibut mango ceviche.
  • Pat and family... thanks for entrusting your dog, Carlos, to us. We know it wasn't easy to let him go, but you did with great dignity. I am grateful every time I take him for a walk or play ball with him.
  • Gene and Betty... you guys are how Julie and I want to be when we are in our eighties: independent, strong, humble, gracious, and open. Thanks for selling us your home.
  • Janet and Nancy... thanks for making the paperwork flow so easily.
  • Ann, Jim and Arbe... for giving Julie the best job in Juneau, and letting her express herself and keep y'all entertained as well.
  • Sue and Dan... you left me a great opportunity to come to Alaska and serve, your program kept me going in the right direction, your advice is always appreciated. You and Dan are good friends, whether sitting at our table in conversation or playing some fierce rummy.
  • My kids... you have my heart, and I will always love you.
  • Jessica, for reminding me of all the fun I had studying probability and statistics. You're a great kid.
  • Mom and Dad... I could never say enough to thank you for everything you've given me.
  • Jan and Mike, you welcomed me to the family with open arms. You guys are always there when we need you.
  • To all the volunteers who keep the Juneau hiking trails in such awesome shape... you guys should get paid!!
  • That guy at the gym who hands out towels and always has a smile and a greeting... you obviously know the "secret" of living a good life.
  • John G., thanks for all the Saturdays and Wednesday nights. This is going to be a lotta fun...
  • Timmy, though you are at the other end of SE, I really missed you while you were recovering. I am glad you are back on the job, and making my life easier. Stay healthy!!
  • Dan, Curt, Mike, Niles, Scott, and all my colleagues in D13... I couldn't have gotten where I am now without your aid, support and comradeship. You were the best co-workers ever, and I miss you.
  • Petty Officer David Bosley... you are remembered by most for sacrificing your life while attempting a nighttime surf rescue off Quillayute River, but I remember that while you were stationed in Newport, you cranked out hundreds of FV dockside exams in the early 90's. You made untold fishermen safer. You did well, my friend.
  • And, all the men and women of the United States Coast Guard and Coast Guard Auxilliary. It is my greatest honor to stand with you and serve our nation.
  • Yau-Man... you didn't win the million, but you were the winner nonetheless. Thanks for the example you set, the gentle wit, your integrity. And great words to live by: Love many, trust few, do wrong to no one.
  • Lastly, my best friend and wife. You trusted me to move us to Alaska and start again. Your support has never wavered. I would be lost without you. The next 49.5 years are going to be amazing. I am blessed to have you in my life.

We all have some credit to pass out to others. I truly believe karma surrounds us all, and I am a lucky man for the good that others have given me. I hope that my gentle readers will have their plates full as well.


KML

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I suppose I am now relegated to less than the towel guy?

Your loving brother!

10:29 PM  
Blogger Ken said...

David, my dear brother...

I have learned that you read this blog, for which I am thankful.

I have been reminded now that my memory is not perfect, which causes me to be humble, for which I am thankful.

I can't get worked up anymore over any of the crap you pulled when we were growing up, so that must be a sign of maturity, for which I am thankful.

So, thank you, bro'...

KML

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU THE MAN, baby

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home