Friday, July 28, 2006

The House... and Banana Slug, Too


I have already posted pics from inside the house, and I have been waiting for a nice, sunny day to take a few shots from the outside. Today is that sunny day... and a magnificent SE Alaska day it is. A few clouds, and looking north up the Lynn Canal on the drive home, I could see snowy-topped mountains for probably a hundred miles.

The upstairs (under the roofline) was converted by the previous owner into an apartment, which is where Mike, our landlord, lives. Mike is a nice, quiet guy, works for the US Forest Service supervising trail and cabin maintenance on Admiralty Island, and so he travels a lot. He is pretty handy, and actually brought a 40-ft container to the yard on the left side of the house to replace the shop he had previously set up in the shed/mudroom that we now use as our storage and entry room. We are the first folks he has ever rented to, so we are endeavoring to train him properly in the care and feeding of tenants.

Like I said, a beautiful day out, and I guess you just can't keep a good slug down when the sun is out. This monster banana slug was cruising up the door frame, that is, before he was unceremoniously flung into the driveway. But he/she posed for a quick picture first.

There are kilo-tons of slugs here, something about living in a temperate rainforest. Our friend (and my able deputy) Danielle enjoys watching them, and actually has several species ID books on slugs and other slimy invertebrates. Wonderful.

In the end, I was enjoying the sunshine too much to ruin my karma by salting the slippery pickle and watching it turn inside-out. Rather, I can go on with stuff, and hope that the birds do the job for me.

KML

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home